What a blessing it is to have so many resources for expecting mother’s! We were sent a new cookbook this week from Dr. Sonali Ruder of The Foodie Physician, who had pregnant mother’s in mind when she developed her recipes! And although I’m not pregnant (my babies are all grown), I still devoured this book!
Pregnancy advice can be confusing. A quick chat with your physician might leave you with more questions than you came in with. Most physicians receive little training in nutrition, so count yourself lucky if your doctor has good advice. Eating well during this critical phase of life is more important than ever! Growing a baby is taxing on your body, but giving you and your baby everything you need to have a healthy pregnancy and birth is possible.
Dr. Ruders book has some great recommendations for pregnant mothers. These include:
- How many extra calories you will need to eat (only 300!)
- How much weight is recommended to gain during pregnancy (anywhere from 11-40lbs!)
- Choosing the proper carbohydrates.
- Getting adequate protein, fiber & fats.
- Good food sources of micronutrients, such as folate, iron, calcium, and vitamin D.
And how about those cravings! Oh mother, you know what I’m talking about! I remember craving eggs and toast, literally every day. It wasn’t until I ate a hard boiled egg sliced on a piece of toast in the dark that I discovered my bread had gone moldy. I didn’t know till I had a bite. I immediately started gagging, and wasn’t able to eat it again the rest of my pregnancy! Dr. Ruder has these tips for controlling cravings without depriving yourself!
5 Tips to Control Pregnancy Cravings
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Eat mini meals throughout the day to stabilize blood sugar, like snacks or smoothies.
- Keep healthy snacks around and accessible.
- Pack a lunch!
- Stay active.
Everyone in my house loved this Shepherd’s pie, and none of us are pregnant! haha.. So, definitely add this to your meal plans! For more recipes from Dr. Ruder, check out her blog at The Foodie Physician.