Pot o’ Gold Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1/2 red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 4-5 yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 scallions, optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers, scoop out the seeds, and stand them up in a baking dish.
- Place the peppers in the oven (empty) for twenty minutes while you prepare the filling.
- While the peppers are softening in the oven, heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, then saute the red onion for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the ground turkey, garlic, spices, and salt, and saute, stirring frequently, until the turkey is no longer pink, about ten minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook a few more minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir in the rice.
- Remove the peppers from the oven, and spoon the turkey and rice mixture inside until they're filled to the top.
- Return the peppers to the oven, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the peppers again, sprinkle cheddar evenly on top of the peppers, then return to the oven once more, for 10 minutes.
- Tuck the scallions into the peppers (if using) to look like handles on your Pot O' Gold. Serve and enjoy!
FIND MORE RECIPES AT SUPERHEALTHYKIDS.COM