Homemade “Hot Pockets” Makeover
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (2 packets)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbls. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3-3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour*
- 1 8-oz package of deli ham, diced
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
: 1 more egg, for an egg wash.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, then add warm milk, olive oil, egg, salt, and honey. Stir well.
- Add in 3 cups of flour, and stir until well-combined.
- *Slowly add more flour, 1/4 cup at at time, until dough becomes soft manageable but is still quite soft. (We find that about 3 1/3 cups is about right.)
- Knead the dough for a few minutes, then let it rise in the bowl, covered, for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Punch down the dough, and divide it into 14 small balls.
- Roll out each ball to a diameter of about 5 inches, then fill the centers with 3-4 tablespoons of ham, cheese, peas, and peppers.
- Fold up the hot pockets like little packages, then place them seam-down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Brush the tops with an egg wash, if you like.
- Bake at 400 F for about 14 minutes, or until the hot pockets are golden brown and no longer doughy.
- Cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
FIND MORE RECIPES AT SUPERHEALTHYKIDS.COM