Melissa cooks, confesses, and corrals chickens and children at Bless this Mess, where you can find healthy recipes (with some simple desserts included), a peek at her hobby farm, and the joys of raising five little ones, eight years old and younger. She’s got a whole lot of mess to bless!
Summer is here! We are spending all kinds of time tending to our garden (including a little strawberry patch, it’s dreamy), building our house (seriously, we’re doing the work ourselves and it’s such a labor of love!), and playing in the river that meanders at the bottom of our alfalfa fields. I adore having my kids out of school, having our schedules open for things we want to do, and having a mile long”to-do” list that include things like bake cookies, catch tadpoles, and have a campfire. This time of year fills my soul back up after a long and busy school year. Who’s with me?
I’ve raised little bakers and I’m not sad about it. That being said, I’ve also gotten really good at making better for us desserts and baked goods which is awesome. This honey sweetened Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is one of our all time favorites. It’s full of peanut butter and chocolate and light on the honey flavor which my kids prefer. You are going to love making this simple dessert recipe all summer long with your little bakers too.
These cookies aren’t low in calories, they still have some sugar (I used a high quality dark chocolate chips, but they still have sugar), and honey is a sugar even though it’s more natural. They do have whole grains, more fiber, and when it comes to the ingredients in them I know what they are, how they are made, and have a good idea of where they came from. I love that! These are still a treat and you should approach them as such, but also applaud yourself a little for going with a healthier version of a traditional classic. Enjoy!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup – peanut butter, all-natural
- 1 cup – honey
- 1 large – egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 3/4 cup – chocolate chips, dark
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine the peanut butter and honey and beat until well incorporated. Stir in egg and vanilla. Add the salt, soda and flour and mix until it comes together to form a dough. Shape dough into small balls (about 1 tablespoon of dough each) and place on the prepared sheet. Use fork to lightly press each dough ball down. Press a few chocolate chips on the top of each dough cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies become slightly golden brown. (Note: Be careful to not over bake! Honey burns much more easily than sugar.)
- Remove from the oven and place the cookies on a wire rack to cool. Notes: You can stir the chocolate chips into the dough like traditional chocolate chip cookies but I always think they look extra pretty when I press them on the top.
- Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.